The carb downfall of most pizza, and the thing that some people usually say is the best part, is the crust. I’ve always been a huge crust lover but found that crust, along with most yeast breads do not love me back as I’ve gotten older. So I learned to love thinner crust. And in finding that appreciation for thinner crust, I was better able I was to enjoy the toppings. I’m a simple kind of gal. I like my cheese and I like my pepperonis. It wasn’t until I was well into my twenties that I discovered that pizza could be just as awesome with more toppings on it than those two. So the search for a more flavorful pizza served me well when searching for more healthy toppings. Hence, the Baja Club Pizza.
This pizza has a Southern California-Baja vibe to it. Its what first attracted me to it. Well, that and bacon. Because, well . . . Bacon! But its not just that. The other toppings on the dish are light and flavorful unlike standard pizza. Pizza is flavorful but the toppings tend to be greasy and heavy. This has a tangy cilantro lime mayo lightly coating the romaine lettuce that is topped by sprouts, tomato, and avocado slices. In a way its sort of like having an awesome salad on a pizza but in some weird way that works well.
The original recipe called for a whole wheat pizza crust, which you certainly can do. But in my journey to a healthier state I’ve found the whole wheat tortillas not only give you the same flavor and support of whole wheat crust but it’s also less calories and less carbs consumed as well. And here’s a hint I’ve included in the recipe! If you take a little butter and coat the edges of the tortilla, then sprinkle just a little garlic powder over that, it makes the whole wheat tortilla that much more divine as a pizza! And helps the edges from burning.
If you need something that you can prepare ahead of time so you can grab and go for lunch, check out my recipe for Chicken Vegetable Soup! Its savory and filling, and if you portion the soup into freezer containers and it makes the perfect office quick lunch!
- 1 medium whole wheat tortilla
- 1 tbsp or pat of butter, softened
- 1/2 c shredded cheese
- 1 slice bacon, cooked
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 c shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/4 c mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 3 tsp minced fresh cilantro
- 1 c alfalfa sprouts
- 1 small roma tomato, sliced
- 1/2 medium avocado, pitted, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven broiler to high.
- Coat whole wheat tortilla with butter on the edges and sprinkle a little garlic over the top. Add cheese and bacon. Place under the broiler for a few minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Combine mayo, lime juice and two tbsp of cilantro in a medium sized mixing bowl. Add shredded romaine and toss until evenly coated. Arrange over the warm pizza. Top with sprouts, tomato, avocado and remaining cilantro.