I have to be honest. When I saw the recipe from Low Carb Yum for a no carb dish pizza, I was only mildly hopeful. I am a texture eater. If the feeling of the food in my mouth is either egg-y or slimy or certain types of grainy, it could taste like the ultimate ice cream sundae but my stomach will heave. I’ve learned over the years to be ok with eggs in its myriad forms, and some types of puddings. But I knew that if this ‘crust’ turned out to have the consistency of a rubbery omelet then there was no way I could promote it.
I am, however, pleased to announce that this pizza is fantastic. I think the combination of the Italian cheese mix on the bottom, and the crust that is almost a fat-head type of dough really seriously makes this dish. This is the first time I’ve made a no carb dish that didn’t have left-overs because my husband ate nearly half the pan all by himself. Win! Call this ‘pizza casserole’ and you can easily get away with serving this to guests without serving them ‘diet food’.
The crust is very forgiving. If you forgot to scrap the sides of the bowl as you’re mixing it because the cream cheese tends to cling, just throw the cream cheese scraping in the pan anyway. Or if you did like I did, and forgot to add the mozzarella into the pan before I added the egg mixture in the pan, you can just throw it over the top and it cooks up like a dream anyway.
As a bonus, I am including a fast and simple no-sugar-added recipe for pizza or spaghetti sauce. Just throw it together while the crust bakes and the sauce will be done when its time to pour it over the time.
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 c Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 cup Italian Cheese blend (found in the pizza aisle of most grocery stores)
- Or you can use just Parmesan, Asiago, or Romano on its own
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Full portion of pizza sauce (noted below)
- Pizza toppings, if preferred
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 13x9 in baking pan with cooking spray.
- In mixer or food processor, combine cream cheese and eggs until smooth. Then add the cream, Parmesan, garlic and oregano until well combined.
- Sprinkle the Italian cheese mix (or any of the other cheese noted above as preferred)along the bottom of the baking pan, then sprinkle one cup of the shredded mozzarella over top of that. Pour the egg mixture over the cheese and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Spread the pizza sauce over the top of the crust and then sprinkle the remaining mozzarella cheese over the top of the sauce. Add toppings as desired.
- Heat the oven broiler to high. Add pizza pan under broiler and allow to melt and brown the cheese.
- Take the pizza out from the oven and let it rest until cutting and serving.
- 1 8oz can plain tomato sauce (no added flavorings or sugar)
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, or 1/4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp no-calorie sweetener, or to taste
- Combine all ingredients together in a small pot. Bring to a boil over a medium heat. Cover and reduce heat and simmer for about 20-30 minutes.